The word is the most powerful tool you have as a human; it is the tool of magic. But like a sword with two edges, your word can create the most beautiful dream, or your word can destroy everything around you. One edge is the misuse of the word, which creates a living hell…Your word is pure magic, and misuse of your word is black magic.
The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz
– Gosh, you’re huge, are you carrying triplets??
– All the girls in our family have difficult labours, I honestly don’t know why you’re even going for a natural birth.
– Hmm, you’re only 2cm, you’ve got a very long way to go, Mommy!
– There’s no need to be a hero you know, why don’t I call the anesthetist and get you set up with an epidural?
– I don’t like my moms to be in labour for more than 12 hours I’m afraid, so I’m calling a c-section.
– Look at this hungry baby, it’s a pity but some moms just don’t have enough milk.
– All MY babies slept through the night from six weeks old; it’s all about being relaxed, they pick up on your tension you see.
– Ah you’re just glowing. How are you doing?
– You’re strong and determined, and I can’t see any reason why you can’t have the birth you want.
– Wow, you are doing so well! I’ll leave you in peace to relax and enjoy your labour.
– I know you’re tired, but you have made such progress. You’ll have your baby in your arms soon enough.
– You are giving your baby the best possible nourishment, well done! Can I suggest some things that may help you to produce even more milk?
– I’m so sorry that you’ve been up all night – you must be so tired. What can I do to help?
Words have more power than we can imagine. Surround yourself with people who will encourage you and lift you up in your days, weeks and years of motherhood, and be that person for others.
(Photo credit: The Photo Forest)